[Top 50] Romance Anime Quotes To Pull Your Heartstrings
Romance in anime can be incredibly wholesome and even sad at times. It’s during these moments of emotion and sentiment that some of our favorite characters tend to be unusually poetic and expressive of their deepest genuine emotions.
What they say during these moments is not only profound, but also exceptionally relatable, to say the least. Moreover, these words give us insight into how romance works and makes us more hopeful for what to expect in our pursuit of love and connections.
Here we have gathered Top 50 Romance Anime Quotes that are guaranteed to pull on your heartstrings.
So, without any further wait, let’s get into it.
1. “Love is simply an electrical bug in the human neural circuit.”
— Akasaka Ryuunosuke (Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo)
Ryuunosuke may come across as someone with no emotions, and rightfully so because he likes to act callously at times. But his statement on the farewell of Rita is one of the best lines about romance in anime.
2. “It’s Equivalent Exchange! I’ll give you half my life, so you give me half of yours!”
— Edward Elric (Full Metal Alchemist)
One of the most wholesome yet awkward love confessions in anime history, Edward finally confesses his love for Winry in the best way possible.
3. “It was like you brought color to my life. You changed my life, all by yourself.”
— Sawako Kuronuma (Kimi ni Todoke)
Sawako lived her entire life depressed and sad because of her appearance. Nobody would talk to her, but Shouta never cared for any of it. So finally, Sawako expresses her feeling in the most wholesome way possible. Love truly brings color into one’s life.
4. “I’ll marry you! No matter what kind of handicap you have! Even if you can’t walk or stand, or even if you can’t have kids, I’ll still marry you. I’ll always be with you. The Yui I met here isn’t fake. It’s you. No matter where or how I meet you, I’ll fall in love with you. If I can meet you again, against the 6 billion to 1 odds, and even if your body can’t move, I’ll marry you.” — Hideki Hinata (Angel Beats)
Hideki lived his entire life for others. He always wanted to protect his companions and was willing to go through even the most painful situation for them. But at this moment, he made a decision for himself. He promises Yui that, no matter what happens, he will find her and marry her in the next life.
5. “Even if I lose this feeling, I’m sure I’ll just fall in love with you all over again.”
— Syaoran Li (Cardcaptor Sakura)
Finally, after years of waiting, the cool and calm Syaoran confesses his feelings for Sakura.
6. “I don’t understand you! You say you don’t love me, but act like you do! Do I have a chance or not? ”
— Yoshida Haru (My Little Monster)
Yoshida Haru immediately fell in love with Shizuku, but she acts like she is in love with him back even after declining his advances. Confused, he finally confronts Shizuku over her Tsundere attitude.
7. “People’s feelings are memories that transcend time”
— Kurisu Makise (Steins; Gate)
Makise realizes how important feelings are. Despite being one of the most renowned scientists in the world, she admits that people’s feelings, their emotions are such that they could transcend time.
8. “Kurosaki-kun, you know I had a lot of things I wanted to do…I want to be a teacher…I also want to be an astronaut…And also make my own cake shop…I want to go the sweets bakery and say, ‘I want one of everything’…Ohhh, I wish I could live five times over. Then I’d be born in five different places, and I’d stuff myself with different food from around the world…I’d live five different lives with five different occupations…And then, for those five times…I’d fall in love with the same person…”
— Inoue Orihime (Bleach)
In one of the most sentimental scenes in Bleach, Orihime is just about to be abducted, and she is given a chance to say goodbye to one last person. She chooses Ichigo, the love of her life, and as sad as this scene is, her words are heart-wrenching at the very least.
9. “The hardest part of loving you is knowing that eventually it’s going to come to an end.”
– Isla (Plastic memories)
Isla knows that she is nearing her lifespan, and her memories are about to be wiped out. Because of that, she desperately tries not to fall in love with anybody, but after developing feelings for Tsukasa, she reminisces how hard it would be for her to forget about him.
10. “Since ancient times, the dragon has been the only beast to equal the tiger. Even if you’re not by my side right now, I will leap through space and time and always be by your side. These feelings will never change.”
— Ryuuji Takasu (Toradora!)
Ryuuji and Taiga spend months on end to get each other to date their secret crushes, only to finally realize their emotions for one another. They decide to run away and elope till Ryuuji realizes that running away won’t solve anything. Seeing this, Taiga leaves Ryuuji without any warning to solve her situation with her mother, and Ryuuji decides to wait for Taiga no matter how long she takes. This feeling of trust and admiration for one another cannot be expressed in a more heartfelt quote than this.
11. “I used to always cry and give up…I made many wrong turns…But you…You helped me find the right path…I always chased after you…I wanted to catch up to you…I wanted to walk beside you all the time…I just wanted to be with you…You changed me! Your smile is what saved me! That is why I’m not afraid to die protecting you! Because…I love you…”
— Hyuuga Hinata (Naruto)
Hinata has always been a meek and shy girl. But for her love, she is willing to do anything. Even when faced with death, she tries to save Naruto and confesses her long-held feelings for him.
12. “It is not “does she love me?”, it is “how can she possibly love me?”
— Hachiman Hikigaya (OreGairu)
Hachiman lives the life of a loner and has a cynic personality. When he thinks that a girl is showing signs of interest in him, he counters that with every possible reason why that could not be the case. This statement is reminiscent of his experience that we all could relate to in our lives.
13. “You’re not alone. We are partners. If you are a witch, then I’ll become a warlock.”
— Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass)
Lelouch lived his life callously playing around and having fun in Japan. But when he finally finds love, he is willing to cross every limit in order to be with C2. His commitment to C2 is more than just apparent with this confession.
14. “This area feels weird, it’s been throbbing hard since that time. When you told me not to go. When you held me so tight. It won’t go away. Your voice is still in my ear. What happened to me? Is this… love? ”
— Mashiro Shiina (The Pet Girl at Sakurasou)
Mashiro is a stoic girl who rarely ever shows her emotions. But living with Sorata at Sakurasou has made her experience emotions that she has never felt before, and her confession to Sorata apparent of how she felt for him.
15. “No matter which world line, what time, or where I am, I will always love you. I’ll say it one more time, I love you.”
— Okabe (Steins; Gate)
Okabe finally confesses to Kurisu after jumping through multiple world lines. Although Kurisu does not remember much from those experiences, with this world line, Okabe shows Kurisu that no matter what happens, no matter how time passes, his love for her will always stay the same.
16. “Because nothing makes one happier than being with the one you love.” — Isla (Plastic Memories)
Despite being on the verge of losing her memories, Isla has finally embraced her love for Tsukasa and is not afraid to express it.
17.”I really hate it when I miss you so much and I can’t do anything about it.” — Kosaki Onodera (Nisekoi)
Onodera always held in her feelings for Ichijo, but as her longing for him becomes unbearable, she can’t help but think about him. We all have waited unbearably to talk to our loved ones and have become frustrated, especially when we can’t do anything about it.
18. “Just your touch… gets me excited. It makes me so happy. But those feelings will all turn into pain. The happier I am now, the more it’ll hurt. I know how cruel this is… but no matter how hard I try, I can’t rid myself of this. Nejima-kun… I… don’t know… what love is.”
— Takasaki Misaki (Koi To Uso)
Takasaki held in her feelings for Nejima for a long time. Even after getting paired with someone else, she tried to move on, but her feelings persist. We all have felt unrequited love that we can’t do anything with.
19. “Love is like a mirror that reflects your bad side. Especially when it’s unrequited, you get envious, jealous, prejudiced, and resentful. You have to face all sorts of emotions, but there’s no reason to find that shameful.”
— Margery Daw (Shakugan No Shana)
Young love is passionate. While Margery is living with Eita, Ogita, who has a crush on Eita, confronts Margery’s relationship with him. Margery calms Ogita down and gives her a lesson on romance that we all can learn something from.
20. “You may not believe me but, even before he told me his name, I felt as if I already knew who he was.”
— Takahashi Nanami (Bokura ga Ita)
Falling in love, at first sight, can be a perplexing idea to some. But for Nanami, this idea could be more valid. On her first day at high school, she came across Motoharu, and for some reason or the other, she felt like she knew everything about him before she even talked to him.
21. “There is only one person who you can each truly love. It’s too bad that you can’t change who that person is. If you could, then you both would be a lot happier.”
— Arisugawa Juri (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Arisugawa may come across as someone with a strong personality, but she is weak when it comes to love. Not being able to get over the one person you love is a feeling we all can relate to.
22. “I too am alone. It’s sad being alone. It’s painful. I felt that way too. But if we’re together, at times we may hurt each other, and we may even part. But, that is not the end. I’ll always be with you.”
— Hitomi Kanzaki (Vision of Escaflowne)
Being alone is the saddest feeling in the world. But Hitomi Kanzaki believes that there is always someone beside you no matter what. Even if you push them away, they will believe in you and stay with you, even if you don’t realize their presence.
23.”I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to a slow death.”
— Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass)
Lelouch lived his entire life planning revenge against his father. After living a monotone life, not having anything of his own, C2 finally brought love into his life. Like Sawako, Lelouch’s feeling is something all lovers can relate to.
24. “Love, passion, why do we get caught up by such troublesome feelings? The mind couldn’t ever get things straight, and you lose control to know what is sensible. Deep down it’s all so vexing.”
— Usui Takumi (Maid Sama!)
Usui gives off the impression of a callous playboy who does not believe that love is something special. May it had to do with how he grew up, but with this statement, he shows his frustration with love and just how troublesome it actually is.
25. “The two of us aren’t so different. My whole life I’ve desired from others. I felt bitter to the people around me and I closed off my heart. And a heart that lets nothing in, will become empty before you realize it. ”
— Mei Aihara (Citrus)
Mei was surprised to find out that she had a step-sister so suddenly, but with time she realized that Yuzu is not all that different from her. But maybe because of this similarity, she reveals to Mei how she has closed her heart off to others.
26. “I can’t forget the times we spent alone together. They leave me wanting more. ”
— Sawako Kuronuma (Kimi Ni Todoke)
Sawako is the purest soul in Kimi Ni Todoke. It’s her wholesome nature that makes her so loveable. She loves Shouta with all her heart and cherishes every moment that they spend with one another.
27. “I love you, Jintan. It’s the “I want to marry you” type of I love you.”
— Meiko Honma (Anohana)
Perhaps one of the most wholehearted confessions in anime, Meiko loved Gin as a child. And even after coming back from the dead as a spirit, her feelings persist.
28. “Don’t bother telling me to run again. Trying to shoulder the burden all by yourself? Don’t be such a stranger. Weep and ask for help. Lean on me with your runny nose. Cry when you feel like crying. Laugh when you feel like laughing. When you’re tearing up with an ugly face, I’ll give you a good cry with an uglier face. When you’re laughing so much your stomach hurts, I’ll laugh in a louder voice. That’s how it should be.”
— Sakata Gintoki (Gintama)
Tsukiyo spent her entire life not relying on anyone else to solve her problems. But Gintoki finally breaks her cycle of suffering and urges her to depend on him to save her and the dwellers of the Kabuki District.
29. “Even if you think I’m a nuisance, no matter where you go, I’ll find you. I’ll always be listening for your voice. When the rain falls, when the wind blows, when the flowers scatter, when shadow looms. In every sign, I’ll search for your voice.”
— Tada Banri (Golden Time)
Although Tada did not like Koko at first, but after spending a lot of time with her, he became infatuated with Koko. Fate might have brought them together, but Tada is committed to their relationship. And during a difficult time, when they both seem to be torn apart, Tada leaps out to grab Koko and promises to never let go of her.
30. “What is love? It’s when your eyes start following someone, and you look for them if they’re not around. You get excited thinking you might run into him when you’re putting your shoes on in the morning. And when you don’t it’s a little disappointing. But then you pass by him and that makes you happy for the rest of the day. It feels like you can handle anything. Seeing him is enough to make you happy.”
— Takasaki Misaki (Koi to Uso)
When asked what love is by Nejima, Takasaki replied in the most profoundly beautiful way possible.
31. “Why’d I ever meet him? If I knew it was going to hurt this much, I wish I’d never laid eyes on him. But I want to see him. I can’t deny it. I want to see Inuyasha once more! It’s clear now. I must be in love with him. Before I knew it, I’d grown to love him so much.”
― Kagome (Inuyasha)
Love can be punishing to some, especially when it starts out as a one-sided affair. Kagome loves Inuyasha, but when he leaves for Kikyou, her heart is unable to bear the pain.
32. “Even if we are apart as long we have a ring which shows our eternal love…We can feel each other nearby.”
― Nasa Yuzaki (Tonikaku Kawaii)
Nasa may not know that much about love, but following the norms of society, his idea of a ring is just too beautiful. When Tsukasa calls wedding rings a waste of money since they have already been married, Nasa fights back with just how essential rings can be for their relationship.
33. “I can’t bear the thought of living in this world without you.”
― Elizabeth Liones (7 Deadly Sins)
Elizabeth never liked Meliodas at the start, but gradually, her feelings for him have grown. And now, even the thought of living in the world without Meliodas has become unbearable.
34. “In the end, mustering the courage to confess is up to the people concerned.”
― Maiko Shu (Nisekoi)
Maiko has experienced unrequited love. He knows just how important confessing your feelings for someone can be. But the confession should always come from someone’s heart, not from peer pressure or extraneous motivation.
35. “Having happy and beautiful memories won’t always bring you salvation. The more beautiful a memory is, the more painful it can become. It can even become terrifying. Both for the one who’s leaving… And for the one left behind. “
― Isla (Plastic Memories)
Isla will soon lose her memories, and just thinking about this fact is enough to break her heart.
36. “My, my! Do I really need to spell it out for you? There is nothing that you can acquire without making a move on your own. It’s the same with romance – your only hope is to be more aggressive.”
― Marika Tachibana (Nisekoi)
Marika is crazily in love with Raku. Her enthusiasm may be held back by her health, but Marika, no matter what, is not willing to let anything come in between her and the love of her life.
37. “After all… love is all about timing… If you don’t say the right thing at the right moment no matter how much fate was involved in the relationship, everything will be ruined. Even if you regret it, it’ll be too late.”
― Takeuchi Masafumi (Bokura Ga Ita)
Takeuchi loved Nanami, but he never confessed his feelings because it could get troublesome afterward if she rejects him. Because of this, Nanami moved on and got into a relationship with another guy. His take on love that you need to act at the right moment, else you will regret your decisions, is sad yet a correct statement one at the same time.
38. “The moment you find the courage to give up your life for someone… would be the moment you understand love.”
― Kenshin Himura (Rurouni Kenshin)
Kenshin is a warrior at heart. After his years of travel, he finally realizes what makes a warrior strong and what it means to truly love someone.
39. “You aren’t happy even if you’re with them. It makes me nervous. Nothing happened like I thought it would. It isn’t fun. But I still want to be with them.” — Taichi Mashima (Chihayafuru)
Taichi may be disheartened by the notion of love. But he puts light onto a less spoken part of life when things stop being as exciting with your partner, but despite the shortcomings, you still want to stay with them.
40. “If you love someone, he could make you sad. He could even make you feel lonely sometimes. But that someone can also make you happier than you’ll ever be….”
— Saki Hanajima (Fruits Basket)
When Saki felt that she was losing her dear friend, Tohru, to Sohma’s, she became distraught. Only to be comforted by her dear friend later on, who came to check on a sad Saki because she was worried about her. At this point, Saki realizes that they would continue to protect each other no matter how distant their relationship becomes. Good friends are hard to come by, but when they do, no matter how far the physical distance becomes, they always stay by your side, no matter what.
41. “You were always there for me, and that’s all I needed. Just you. For some reason, I didn’t feel sad or broken up, it just didn’t seem real. But slowly I realized it was real – that you were gone. And little by little, I slowly felt something inside me go numb.”
— Jet Black (Cowboy Bebop)
After finally reuniting with his ex-girlfriend, Jett asks her why she left him, only to get a reply that said: “I have forgotten all about it.” Sometimes we don’t realize what we had until it is just too late.
42. “I know I mustn’t love anyone. I simply can’t open my heart to anybody. Because… I know… I know it’ll only hurt them in the end. ”
— Shiori Misaka (Kanon)
Shiori is a kind-hearted girl. She cares for others so much that she vowed to never fall in love with another person because it would just hurt them in the end due to her condition. Despite this, when Yuichi gets involved with her, she breaks her pledge only to become frustrated about her love later on.
43. “You’re always in my mind and it makes me both happy and sad. I guess that’s what it feels like to be in love.”
— Kuroyukihime (Accel World)
Kuroyukihime may be famous as the Ice Queen, but her confession to Haruyuki is filled with the emotions of a maiden in love.
44. “I still remember that day when our eyes first acquainted—a trivial moment of nothing yet the timeless beginning of everything.”
— Isla (Plastic Memories)
Fateful encounters may be a fantasy from the fairy tales, but for Isla, her meeting with Tsukasa is the best thing that has ever happened to her.
45. “I was younger then, I wasn’t afraid of anything, I didn’t think about dying for a second. I thought I was invincible. Then I met some girl. I wanted to live, I started to think like that; for the first time I was afraid of death. I had never felt like that before.”
— Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
Love changes people. And this could be truer for Spike, who used to live his life as a daredevil in his younger years. But Julia changed him and made him want to live the rest of his life with her.
46. “There was no meaning to things that were only superficial. That was a single belief that both me and her once shared.”
— Hachiman Hikigaya (OreGairu)
Hachiman is known for his cynical personality. Sad as it may be when trouble starts to appear between him and Yukine, he reminisces how the club was just a façade and how they just kept it going without much real reason.
47. “I can’t stand it anymore. Even if you think I’m weird… Or cringe worthy… just being like this makes me happy enough to shed tears.”
— Ruka Sarashina (Rent A Girlfriend)
Ruka is passionate about Kazuya because just his presence is enough to make her heart beat faster. Although she has a heart condition, Ruka just wants to stay with her beloved and feel different emotions, no matter what he thinks of her.
48. “There’s no use in just creating “Love”. Empty hearts filled with “Love” tend to be unstable.”
— Katsuragi Keima (The World Only God Knows)
Katsuragi is a genius who has cracked the code of making girls fall in love with him. He does not believe in fake feelings based on the situation. But a genuine sense of love and admiration is at the core of his mission. Which he uses to navigate through the hearts of various maidens.
49. “There is no better time to part, than when we wish for it never to end.” — Holo (Spice and Wolf)
Holo is a spirit that has lived through centuries on end, outliving her partners every time. But this time, she decides to part away with Lawrence right in the middle of their long journey due to the situation in the port city.
50. “I never planned to fall in love.”
– Seishirou Tsugumi (NiseKoi)
Tsugumi never planned to fall in love ever. She planned to live her life for her Ojousan as her trusted guard. But accidentally falls in love with the one person her Ojousama loved. While being perplexed by her feeling for Raku, Tsugumi goes through a multitude of emotions because of her unrequited love. We all can relate to what Tsugumi is going through here.
Thank you for reading!
Which ones are your favorite?